Thursday 20 September 2012

An extension! :D

At our lesson today, we were to finish our self-portrait, although because nobody would manage to finish it today (or some would, but they would have rushed) we got one week's extension again!! That is very good, as I can now focus entirely on each aspect of my painting instead of rushing, which I was doing at the beginning of the lesson.

I have finished the background, and also found a very nice skin-color - with help from Mr. Roman and Marta. I have also painted the mouth, the eyes, and the hair. The "sari"  - Indian traditional dress - is almost finished.

The skin-colour which I chose last week became too dark than it really is. I also did this because I when I was putting shadows on my nose, it became too dark, thick and long so I had to redo it. I also did it round my mouth, which I wasn't supposed to do. The easiest was just to cover the nose up and apply new skin-colour around the mouth and re-start. I haven't restarted to do the nose yet, but the mouth I have started with. The reason for why I chose really red-pink lips, is because I absolutely love that colour on my lips, and I love the aspect of make-up. That is why I will make my eyelashes look like I wear mascara.

My first half of the background, I completed last week - with the several shades of purple - and I have completed the other half today. I have inserted many purple/blue "Om" signs onto the other half, on top of off-white colour and it looks really cool! The culture and religion is the features which I have used from Frida Kahlo's techniques of painting, with the "Om" sign and also the sari. The sari is the Indian traditional dress, which I have painted purple and red. I will also use some yellow next time on it.

My idea about having many objects that represent me around me, I have not done, because I would like it to be very simple. Although in my drawing of myself, I did include a necklace with an elephant, which I have managed to cover up with skin-colour on the canvas. When I am completely finished, I will paint the necklace on. I first have to put shading to know where my neck actually starts and end.

I am actually very happy with it, even though I don't think it looks like me. I have done my best. Maybe, after I have placed my nose, and added my eye-lashes, it will start to look like me :)

- Anisha

No comments:

Post a Comment